La Femme Publique (1984) [Limited Edition]
Edition Status: Out Of Print (Very Limited Quantity Left)
ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI's La Femme Publique is a cinematic milestone rich with extreme imagery and raw emotions. Twenty five years after its controversial inception at the Cannes Film Festival, this story of a young, struggling actress retains the power to shock even the most seasoned of movie goers with its violently stylish, apocalyptic tone. A woman s destiny, divided between angel and demon...An hour and 54 minutes of painful happiness, La Femme Publique scratches the soul, slaps the eyes, and seduces like the maelstrom that each one of us hides beyond the conscious. To summarize La Femme Publique is impossible, dangerous and impoverishing. Zulawski is not a man of words; he plays and juggles with the image, the color, the rhythm, the sound, the music, and this unspeakable shamelessness that he steals from his actors so effectively. Between humor and paroxysm, La Femme Publique is a fascinating metaphysical experience with a degree of intensity that needs to be seen to be believed. Simply put, it represents cinema at its most insane & brilliant.
- Special Screening & Mention @ 1984 Cannes Film Festival
-Montréal World Film Festival:
Most Popular Film Of The Festival
Special Prize of the Jury
César Awards, France
Best Actress: Valérie Kaprisky
Best Supporting Actor: Lambert Wilson
Best Writing Adaptation: Andrzej Zulawski
Best Writing Adaptation: Dominique Garnier
MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American release of Andrzej Zulawski's highly anticipated and sought after film La Femme Publique (The Public Woman, 1984) in a gorgeous transfer with all new English Subtitles, UNCUT& Fully Uncensored.
Disc 1: The Film
Digitally Restored Transfer Mastered In High Definition Progressive Scan (Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski) Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird Exclusive New Video Interview With Director Andrzej Zulawski Theatrical Trailer DVD-ROM Content Image Gallery
Disc 2: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD (Exclusive To Limited Edition. 32 tracks CD Digitally remastered in Paris under the supervision of Composer Alain Wisniak) [Available for the first time ever on CD]
- Exclusive 48pg Commemorative booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare & Insightful Interviews With Andrzej Zulawski and the Cast [retranslated and published for the first time ever in English]
- Interview with Andrzej ZULAWSKI (Feb, 1984)
- Interview with Francis HUSTER (Feb, 1984)
- Interview with Valérie KAPRISKY (Feb, 1984)
- Interview with Lambert WILSON (Feb, 1984)
- "Music Of Apocalypse:" Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [Cinéma, May 1984]
- "A Filmmaker Has To Be Disruptive...": Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [La Revue Du Cinéma, May 1984]
- 10 B&W Reproductions Of The Original Japanese Publicity Photos
- Certificate of Authenticity With Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]
Le Femme Publique is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and original Mono French soundtrack as intended by Andrzej Zulawski. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the NTSC DVD format.
Disc Type: Double-Layer DVD-9
Case Type: Specially designed Chipboard Magnetic Box wrapped in Black Art Paper.