L'Amour Braque (1985) [Limited Edition]
IMPORTANT: We are currently away from office until October 29, 2021. Our online store remains open. You may place an order during this time in order to reserve your copy. All open orders will be processed starting October 29, 2021. During this time, we will have limited access and may not be able to answer your questions. Thank you for understanding. Toufaan Support
Edition Status: [Out Of Print] Very Limited Quantities Left In Stock. Order While Supplies Last.
ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI'S L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love) is the story of a hideously bloody vendetta, of bonds of friendship between two men from opposite backgrounds and of love within an eternal triangle. Intended as homage to Dostoyevsky and loosely based on his novel 'The Idiot', L'Amour Braque is a mad love-triangle: Léon (The Prince Of Idiots), Marie (The Virgin Whore), and Mickey (The Immoral Gangster). Zulawski's postmodern existentialist adaptation is presented with an intense sense of visual style suggestive of the hyper-realistic and chaotic world of Bande-Dessinée. Abundant with images that persist and last in memory, from start to finish the screen is filled with outbursts of energy and eruptions of emotional violence where "notions of 'performance as madness' are choreographed into a perverse, bloody ballet." L'Amour Braque displays craftwork of originality and imagination in which "moments of brilliance happen under the watchful eye of a knowing master."
Fantasporto International Film Festival, Portugal [Nominated]
International Fantasy Film Award, Best Film: Andrzej Zulawski
MONDO VISION presents the first ever North American release of Andrzej Zulawski's 6th film L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love, 1985) in a gorgeous new transfer UNCUT & Fully Uncensored with all new English Subtitles Supervised By Director Andrzej Zulawski.
Disc 1: The Film
- Digitally Restored High Definition Transfer Mastered For Progressive Scan
- Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird
- Exclusive New Video Interview With Sophie Marceau: 'Becoming Marie' [24:00]
- Video Interview With Director Of Photography J.F. Robin [24:00]
- Rare Archival Interviews & Behind The Scenes Footage From 1985 [16:00]
- Andrzej Zulawski Interview
- Francis Huster Interview
- Sophie Marceau Interview
- Behind The Scenes Footage
- Theatrical Trailer
- Image Gallery
Disc 2: Soundtrack CD [Digitally Remastered]
- Exclusive 64pg Booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare and Insightful Essays & Interviews [retranslated and published for the first time ever in English]
- "One Man And His Mad Dog" By Michel Chion [Cahier Du Cinéma, March 1985]
- "Andrzej Zulawski PORTRAIT": Rare Extensive Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI [STARFIX, March 1985]
- Extracts From The Original 1985 Press Kit
- [5x7] Color Reproduction Of The Original French Poster
- Certificate of Authenticity W/ Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]
Note Regarding English Subtitles: (Optional) Available in White & Yellow. The dialogue of L'Amour Braque presents a number of challenges for the translator. Roda-Gil s dialogue abounds with rhymes and puns, not to mention a plethora of (mainly French) cultural and political references, often specific to the 1980s. Director Andrzej Zulawski prepared the subtitles for this DVD release in collaboration with Daniel Bird. It was decided quickly that a technically precise translation of the original French into English would lose the playful, anarchistic character of Roda-Gil's dialogue. Here, Zulawski has opted for the title Limpet Love. The character of 'Marie' has been changed to 'Mary', so as to retain the Christian aspect of the character's name. For rhymes in French, equivalents in English have been sought. Therefore, a looser approach has been adopted, which strives to offer something of the flavor of the original.
L'Amour Braque is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.66:1 and original Mono French soundtrack as intended by Andrzej Zulawski. This Dual Layer disc has been transferred and encoded using a high-frequency process which preserves as much of the detail and texture from the original film as is possible on the NTSC DVD format.
Audio: Original French Mono
Subtitles: English (optional, in White or Yellow)
Image Format: 1.66:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Disc Type: Double-Layer DVD-9
Case Type: Specially designed Magnetic Box wrapped in Red Velvet